August in Barcelona is synonymous with a major festival. As we usually do in our blog, today we will take you on a tour through the main events of Barcelona popular festivals. The most renowned local festivals are those of the neighborhoods of Gracia and Sants. But we will also review other events taking place in August in Barcelona. Are you following us? Come on, let’s go!
1.FIESTAS DE GRACIA 2019: del 14 al 21 de agosto
1.FIESTAS DE GRACIA (GRACIA NEIGHBORHOOD FESTIVAL) 2019: from 14th-21st August
A decorated Street in Gracia.
Did you know that the neighborhood of Gracia organizes about a thousand activities from this Wednesday, 15th August 15 to 21st August?
Very diverse themes as every year, will give color to the most modern neighborhood of Barcelona. The festival this year celebrates its 202nd edition, OMG! Some of the streets from which we will hear about will be the one that pays tribute to the magic of Harry Potter or a representation of Atlantis from Greek mythology. The festivities, like every year, are also an element of vindication, so from the district of Gracia they bet on an inclusive, sustainable and anti-sexist celebration. Sounds good, doesn’t it? As usual, we share the full agenda of activities of the festival and we highlight the most traditional events that you should attend if this is your first time in Barcelona.
TYPICAL THINGS TO SEE AND DO AT THE GRACIA FESTIVAL:
Thursday 15th August:
- 8h all around the neighborhood. Major festival opening fireworks with grallers, trabucaires and tabalers. Breakfast on all decorated streets and squares.
- 11h Major festival Mass. Mass in honor of Gracia’s patron saint at Santa María de Gràcia’s church.
- 12h Musical vermouth with Luces Negras and Goliat at Rovira square.
Friday 16th August:
- 18h Habaneras and burned rum with Mar Brava at Puigmartí street.
- 21:30h Popular barbecue at Providència street.
- 23h Catalan rumba by Triampa at Poble Romaní square.
Saturday 17th August:
- 17h Awards ceremony for the best streets and squares with a new award to the most accesible Street.
- 19h Castells evening with Castellers de Vilafranca, Xiquets de Reus, Joves Xiquets de Valls and los Castellers de la Vila de Gràcia at la Vila square.
Sunday 18th August:
- 10h passacaglia ‘ La Convidada’, Gràcia giants and the Giants group from Viserta de Monistrol Street in Montserrat will go around the neighborhood streets.
Wednesday 21st August – Festival closing:
- 20h ‘Tabalada infernal’ for adults and children from Trilla square to la Vila de Gràcia square.
- 22h Gracia’s Festival‘Correfoc’ (traditional pyrotechnical display) through, St Domènec, St Pere Màrtir, Pere Serafí, Ros de Olano, Torrent de l’Olla, Or, Torrijos, Travessera de Gràcia, Torrent de l’Olla, Diluvi and back to la Vila square.
One of the attractions of the Gracia festival are the free concerts of alternative music organized every year by Sala Heliogàbal, the so-called Festigàbal that this year will have the presence of groups such as Joan Colomo, Rombo, Melenas, Aliment and the fun DJ Waterparties.
Festigàbal 2019 poster– Heliogàbal
- What?: Gracia Festival.
- When?: from 15th to 21st August.
- Activity calendar and official web: festamajordegracia.cat/programacio
And, once you are in Gracia, you may want to…
- Take a walk around the Abacería and la Llibertat market.
- Have a good vermouth in Rius i Taulet Square.
- Enjoy the most beautiful baby shops such as: Petit Oh!, Olokuti, La Baldufa or either, La Mamavaca.
- Have a good Italian and artisan ice cream in Paralello.
And if you still want more and you hold the heat well… walk from Gracia to the center of Barcelona on the magnificent Paseo de Gracia or take a tour through the Parc Güell.
- SANTS NEIGHBORHOOD FESTIVAL 2019: from 24th August to 1st September
Major Sants Festival poster
And if you miss the Gracia festival or you feel like more celebration… You know… just the following week, the last week of August, the Sants festival takes place. As we always say, Gracia and Sants are two neighborhoods where the neighborhood activity is incredible and thanks to this activity they have become the most popular festivals in Barcelona. That said, let’s go for a walk through the Sants festival!
TYPICAL THINGS TO SEE AND DO AT THE SANTS FESTIVAL:
Saturday 24th August:
- From 20h. Major festival opening fireworks. Recorrido por las calles: Papin. At 20.30 h, in Cal Borinot (Comtes de Bell-lloc, 49). At 21.00 h, in Robrenyo and Finlàndia streets and Farga square. At 21.30 h, in Galileu street. At 22.00 h, in Guadiana street. At 22.00 h, in de Alcolea de Dalt, with passacaglia afterwards. At 23.00 h, in de Alcolea de Baix street.
- 22.05 h Tamborrada (Drum Jamboree). By the Sants Tabalers in Guadiana street.
Sunday 25th August:
- 17.30h Sardanas. By the cobla (Sardanas instrumental group) La Nova del Vallès in Alcolea de Baix street.
- 22.30h Habaneras. By the group Xarxa, in Alcolea de Baix street.
Wedenesday 28th August:
- 18.30h Castells. Casteller workshop for children and adults, followed by a trial in the street by Castellers de Sants. At Cal Borinot (Comtes de Bell-lloc, 49).
Saturday 31st August:
- 21.30 h, Correfoc’ (traditional pyrotechnical display). With Diables de Sants, Banyuts de Vallirana and Guspires de Sants. At Osca square, ending at Bonet y Muixí square.
- 2.30 h, Final closing fireworks. In Alcolea de Dalt and Valladolid streets. At 3.00 h, in Alcolea de Baix, Finlàndia, Galileu, Guadiana, Sagunt, Vallespir streets and la Farga square.
Sunday 1st September: New this year!
Pyromusical. It will mark the end of the unitary activities of the major festival. At 22.00 h, in the stands of the Espanya Industrial Park.
In total the festival has a mere of over 500 activities of all kinds and for all tastes, scattered throughout the streets, parks and squares of this historic neighborhood of Barcelona. Check out the full activitiy calendar of Barcelona here!
Sants fringe festival poster– festamajordesants.net
- What?: Sants festival.
- When?: from 23rd August to 1st September.
- Activity calendar and official web: www.festamajordesants.net
- Sants alternative activities calendar here.
And, once you are in Sants, you may want to…
- Have a walk around the recently renovated Sants market y el Hostafrancs market.
- Have a good vermouth in Bar Buenavista or Tremendu.
- Enjoy the Espanya Industrial park with the Little ones of the family.
- Taste a delicious Burger at Santa Burg.
- And if you are sick of so much heat, have a walk through the awesome (and air-conditioned) Las Arenas Shopping Mall.
- OTHER CELEBRATIONS AND THINGS TO DO IN BARCELONA IN AUGUST
And in case the celebrations are not enough for you… we also bring you in a list of little things to do this hot month of August in Barcelona. Don’t miss it!
- Summer nights at CaixaForum. Find your ideal plan!
- Guided night tour: Born and the center of Barcelona. All the information you need here ..
- Blues noghts at Poble Español. Book your ticket!
- Gandules CCCB 2019, open-air autor cinema! More information.
- Circuit Festival, the LGBTI event of the year par excellence. More information..
And you know, book your accommodation with us and feel at home! We expect you at Hostemplo, your best accommodation choice in Barcelona. And remember! If you book through our website, you will have all the breakfasts during your whole stay for FREE!